The new 5G Broadcast transmission standard offers numerous advantages
A single data stream is distributed via a high-tower high-power (HTHP) transmitter to all end devices in the coverage area. With mobile communication networks, in contrast, an individual data stream must be sent for each end device. 5G Broadcast can take the load off mobile communication networks during large live broadcasts and offer a high level of reliability.
Other advantages compared to the existing distribution options are:
- 5G Broadcast enables linear television on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
- This means that an unlimited number of users can be reached simultaneously – there is no excessive network utilization and loss of quality as with streaming.
- Broadcasters can continue to reach their customers directly, cost-effectively and without discrimination.
- Consumption of linear TV or radio services does not consume any data volume of mobile contracts.
- The new transmission standard can off load other mobile communication networks during live broadcasts of major events.
- 5G Broadcast has a far-reaching potential for the media industry, such as for in-car entertainment in self-driving cars.
- A stand-alone 5G Broadcast network ensures transmission of information to TV, radio and mobile devices in the event of a catastrophe or crisis.